Monday, October 13, 2008

A Life You Can Hang Your Hat On; or, Listening to Country Music in an Urban Wasteland

I came to a realization the other day listening to Montgomery Gentry on the Subway... I am not, and never will be a New Yorker. I am a suburban creature, and no matter how long this love affair with the city lasts, it will never be me. It's too full, there's too much stimulation and it's not a place where I find that I can build a life. Sure, I can for a while and I'll enjoy it and I'll learn a lot from it, but I can't do it forever. I want security and safety. And, the way I'm looking at it, that's not a bad thing. Especially if I've tried the fast paced, unpredictable city life. My hope is that at 50 years old I will look back at this time and be so glad that I did it and so glad that I'm not doing it anymore.



Getting ready for Christmas outside of Macy's!

In other news, today is my one month anniversary with the city! It's an exciting milestone, but today was also the day Jared left (he's been here about 9 days). It was considerably harder saying goodbye to him today than when he left the first time. Then, I had a whole new adventure ahead of me and a world full of unknowns. Now, while still an exciting adventure, I know what I'm in for. And I know that it's more enjoyable and more comfortable with Jared. Either way, we had a great time. We saw An American Carol and Righteous Kill and just spent a lot of time wandering around and eating wonderful baked goods from Martha's Country Bakery (http://www.marthascountrybakery.com/). Just living a nice, leisurely life. It was wonderful!!
Now, on to the next month. I hope to find a new job, one that makes a good salary, has benefits... is a career. I want to see what that's like. And, if I can afford my iPhone, get Doughnut the puppy, and save up some money for the Farm, so be it :)

We're goobers.
But cute!!

2 comments:

EMR said...

Hi Amanda: this is the RIGHT TIME to live and work in the Big Apple. You are young, educated and ready for adventure. Enjoy! I hope to come down for a visit real soon! Pat

P.S. the last trip to NYC included a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge to DUMBO and seeing The Drowsy Chaperone. My niece chose Avenue Q for her NYC visit; we both enjoyed it.

Tessa Nelson said...

I am so proud of you for just taking off and doing what you're doing. Just something fun and out there. You go girl! You will, I'm sure, be so glad you did it and be thankful for all your learned about the world and yourself. Good for yoU!